imap migration tools

Denis V. Suhanov den at suhoff.ru
Thu Jan 8 10:50:45 EST 2004

Hello Kendrick,

I  have  recentlely  faced the same task and my way of dealing with it
was  pretty  painful.  I tried several different IMAP migration tools,
but   none   wanted   to   work   propertly.  After  several  days  of
experimenting,  I've  just  ended  up  manually  recreating all of the
folders  on  the  new  server  (took  me a long long while though) and
copied  (tar/untar)  the  whole partition/users folder. It worked just
fine.  There  were  only  two  problems  -  first,  all of the message
read/unread  states  were lost, so my users had to mark their messages
as  read  in their mail clients and second, it was damn boring to type
in all the folder names manually. There might be much better solutions
out there, but at least this one worked.

It seems to me that the main reason why tools I tried did not work was
the  altnamespaces  setting  I  have  on. I never spent enough time to
prove it though.

Good luck!

--
Best regards,