Catch all - web-cryadm

Troy McKinnon TroyMcKinnon at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 13 22:08:58 EST 2004

I have a strange problem with 'catchall' and it is most likely I just don't
understand it.

I have found info on it at:
http://www.web-cyradm.org/pipermail/web-cyradm/2003-May/001197.html

I tried the solution and it didn't change anything for me.  Catchall still
caught ALL.

I have 3 domains set up on my machine.  (Linux suse 9)

foo.com
foo2.com
foo3.com

I add account to each:

bar at foo.com
bar at foo2.com
bar at foo3.com

each has it own ip.  (15, 16, 17) respectively... but the machine hostname
is set up as foo.com

I also have a mail server configured for each.  mail.foo.com, mail.foo2.com,
mail.foo3.com etc

When I set bar at foo.com as a catchall. No other accounts get any email. Even
in the foo2.com and foo3.com domains.

When I look at the email it is addressed to  someone at foo2.com but is in the
catchall at foo.com  mailbox.

----- I thought ----

that if you did a catch all on a domain it would only catch the email for
undefined address of the type ?@domain.com
i.e.

  if I had me at foo.com and you at foo.com and emailed to nobody at foo.com   the
catchall would only get the nobody since it wasn't defined otherwise.

The wierdest part is that the catchall for the @foo domain is catching the
email for @foo2 and @foo3 as well.

Any ideas?