Using singleinstancestore on a large scale (thousands of recipients)

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Tue Jan 13 07:02:07 EST 2004

Hi,

we've got Cyrus 2.1.16 running on Red Hat AS 2.1 with singleinstancestore
and it's working well. A common case is that mails will have up to 5
recipients:

-rw-------    5 cyrus    mail         3754 Jan 13 11:13
/var/spool/imap/S/user/a0620/88222.

We haven't yet moved all our student accounts to Cyrus, but once we've done
that, I'd like to be able to use this mechanism for sending mails to all of
them. We've got around 30,000 student accounts. Now I wonder:

- can a single inode have 30,000+ links? We're using ext3 as this is the
only file system supported by Red Hat.

- can I invoke "deliver" with such a long argument list? If not, is there
an alternative?

I've searched the WiKi and the mailing list archive, but haven't found any
reports regarding this ...

Thanks, Sebastian Hagedorn
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK