maximum recommended mailbox quota?

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Jan 14 12:01:24 EST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Joe Hrbek wrote:

> Hi, quick question.  Assuming I have the space (I have 4, 146gb scsi
> ultra320 drives in a raid setup with dual xeon processors and 2 gb of ram),
> what is the maximum "recommended" mailbox quota? I've googled around for an
> hour and I haven't been able to find anything worthwile.  I also looked at
> the imapv4 rfc and didn't see anything like, "don't have a quota higher
> than...", etc.  My boss asked me if I could allow quotas up to 3 or 4 gb for
> certain users.  I laughed, he didn't. :)

That's mostly a system policy decision, though, clients and servers will
generally perform worse with large numbers of messages in a given folder
(not necessaraly the same thing as as having several large messages in a
folder).

Note that the quota isn't the full story about how much space a mailbox
uses, since the index and especially the cache files can take a nontrivial
amount of space as well.

-Rob