Unable to save "read" flag on some mailboxes

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 16 13:43:04 EST 2004

I seem to be having a very peculiar problem with cyrus 2.1.15.

We recently had a system crash over the holidays (while no one was
monitoring the server) wherein the root filesystem went read-only and
(somehow) the cyrus log files grew to fill the partition (with mail.err
and mail.log being over 10GB each).

After removing and resetting the log files  and rebooting the machine,
everything seemed fine save for one thing:  some mailboxes seem to no
longer be able to set flags on messages.  For example, for most users,
messages don't stay marked as read, but get marked as "not read" every
time the mailbox is re-read.  Oddly, this doesn't happen to all mailboxes;
for some accounts this information is retained.

I thought this might have something to do with permissions on, say, the
cyrus.index file in the mailbox directory, but I compared permissions
between a "good" mailbox and a "bad" one, and the permissions on all
cyrus.* files were identical.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Also, this is probably in some documentation somewhere, but how does one
reduce the amount of information being logged by cyrus?  I looked in the
/etc/cyrus.conf file, but couldn't find anything relevant.