ReiserFS on a Linux mail server

Mike O'Rourke mjoop at curia.op.org
Tue Jan 20 04:27:15 EST 2004

>>> "Jeff Gray" <jeffgray at hotmail.com> 01/20/04 10:01am >>>
Greetings all. I am an experienced Windows NT administrator (go ahead
and
let it out now) making the transition to Linux. I have been assigned to
team who are going to be migrating Exchange servers to Linux servers
running
Postfix, Cyrus and Amavisd-new for spam and virus filtering. Currently
all
options are being evaluated right now so I would like to take the
initiative
and set up my own test server so I can start learning the concepts
inside
out. I already have the hardware ready..... 1 Ghz P3, 1 gig ram, 4
ATA133
drives, 3ware RAID adapter.

I have been doing a lot of reading regarding the journaling filesystems

available for Linux. Here is the conclusion that I have reached: ext3
is
basically ext2 with journaling added on top. XFS is well suited for
environments where very large files are going to be served. ReiserFS
has
been optimized to handle small files in a very efficient manner and
thus is
a great candidate for an all around general mail, apache and samba
server.

I was mainly deciding between ReiserFS and XFS but so far I'm leaning
towards the former. My question is to other mail administrators either

running Postfix, Cyrus or both....... from your experiences what have
you
learned about dealing with ReiserFS version 3? Are there some special
filesystem optimizations that you would like to share with the list? I

forgot to mention that I will be utilizing LVM on my test server as
well.
Any comments or suggestions? Thank you for taking the time to read
this!

Find high-speed ænet deals ù comparison-shop your local providers here.

https://broadband.msn.com

Hi Jeff,

Please see this thread:
http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&msg=26746