[POLL] Singleinstancestore

Bill Earle bill at buffalo.edu
Wed Jan 21 14:03:06 EST 2004

Ken,

We do NOT use singleinstancestore. We have several partitions for
spools. Is the feature intelligent enough to determine which spools
are on the same partition and hardlink those and create individual
files for spools on separate partitions?
- we use qmail and the deliver program, which is called one
  recpient, one message at a time, so this may not even effect
  us either way.

We also would prefer to backup the files not a hardlink for restore
purposes. I don't claim to know what the interaction with TSM and
files vs. links are, but we are quite happy with files. TSM does an
incremental forever backup, so only changes are backed up to tape.
Does anyone know how the following scenario would be handled?

scenario:
  message 1 is sent to studentB and facultyB
  - both are on the same partition

  TSM backs up message 1:
  - (file) for studentA
  - (link) for facultyB

  no changes have taken place to the file.

  studentA, no longer attends the university and the backup of
  their files expires. The tape copy is now gone.

  facultyB, accidentaly removes the file and requests a restore
  - does TSM have the file from studentA or just the link from
    facultyB?

Thanks,
- Bill