Kernel upgrade problem

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Wed Jan 28 02:31:11 EST 2004

> Hi there
>
> I have a redhat 7.2 machine here which is running cyrus for imap
> storage.
>
> The curus and the db4 are all compiled on this machine.
>
> Now due to system instability I had to upgrade the kernel from the
> standard redhat one. So as usual just compiled and installed a generic
> 2.4.24 kernel.

Are you sure your stability problem had something to do with the RedHat
kernel? I'm using 7.2 and 7.3 with RedHat kernels on about 30 servers with
very different hardware and I never had a problem with it.

> Only that totally broke cyrus so bad it wouldn't even startup. Now I
> think it's something to do with threading libraries in glibc and the
> redhat kernel with the berkeley db? am I right here.
>
> Is there something I missed in the 2.4.24 kernel?
>
> The funny thing is that a identical mail server (though using redhat
> 7.3) was upgraded to 2.4.22 with no problems.
> follow.

7.2 and 7.3 are almost the same. What does it mean 'it wouldn't even
startup'? Did you check the error messages?

Simon