Performance problems, compared to wu-imapd

Paul M Fleming pfleming at siumed.edu
Thu Jan 29 10:22:55 EST 2004

Comments are based on Cyrus and wu-imap using mbx format --

Just reading mailboxes isn't a good test.. Cyrus _really_ excels when
you start do a lot of things to the same mailbox at the same time. For
example, deleting email and delivering new email to the same mailbox at
the same time. Try putting several thousands messages in a mailbox and
doing concurrent searches, fetches and delivers to the same mailbox.
Deleting on wu-imapd is brutal in mbx format because the entire file
must be rewritten. We support 2-3k accounts in a small cluster and
maintain 150-200 concurrent connections per server with a load average
of 0. The machines are single 1Ghz PIII w/ 1GB of RAM and hardware RAID
5 w/ 4 - 36GB drives. Also, your selection of database format can affect
load/performance. Are you using skiplist of the mailbox db?