?? Need some help!

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jan 30 01:24:41 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 06:32, Drewe Zanki wrote:
> I have no idea what is going on here - I am trying to install Cyrus and SASL,
> but have a problem at ./configure - here is what I get -
>
> [root at server cyrus-sasl-2.1.17]# ./configure
> : bad interpreter: No such file or directory

That's rather odd. /bin/sh is not in some way broken or missing? What
happens if you try:
	/bin/bash configure
instead? What happens if you run '/bin/sh'?

Have you for some reason edited 'configure' or regenerated it with the
autotools?

> ??
> So I uncommented the first line (! /bin/sh) and ran it again -

That'll never work. the first line is a 'magic' comment that tells the
OS what interpreter to run the script with.

> Can someone point me in the right direction - or tell me where I am going
> wrong? I have had no problems in the past compiling anything, so I guess this
> is a first :-).

Check your filesystems and make sure there's no FS corruption. I'd also
run a `badblocks` scan and use smartctl to query my disks for possible
faults.

Craig Ringer