Config problem

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Sun Feb 1 19:14:12 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 13:45, Christopher Robin wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been following the Cyrus IMAP Howto, as well as a few posts on this
> list, and have successfully made and installed Cyrus IMAP.  I have run
> into a problem.  According to the Howto, I was supposed to add a couple
> of lines to /etc/inetd.conf.  I'm using RH 9, and am not using INETD.
> So, I thought I could just add a couple of files to /etc/xinetd/.  The
> format of the files, however, is completely different, so I'm not sure,
> if it's working properly.  When I type chkconfig --list, the xinetd
> section shows that imap and pop3 are on, but I'm not sure if that really
> means anything.  When I su cyrus, I was able to complete the set up with
> tools/mkimap, as outlined in the Howto, but when I get to imtest -m
> login -p imap localhost, the connection is refused and the reason given
> is network initialization.  Nothing useful shows up in /var/log/messages
> or /var/adm/imapd.log or /var/adm/auth.log.  Obviously I've missed
> something, but I'm not sure what.  Any pointers in the right direction
> would be greatly appreciated.

The HOWTO is considerably out-of-date; Cyrus now uses it's own 'master'
process to control the various sub-systems and not [x]inetd.  If you're
using Red Hat, I'd strongly encourage you to use Simon Matter's RPMs at
http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/cyrus-imapd/; it will save you tons of
trouble.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * * *  Linux Consulting in Portland, Oregon * * * * * *
* Naked Ape Consulting                  http://nakedape.cc  *
* Naked Ape Business Server       http://nakedape.cc/r/smb  *
*       Easy, reliable solutions for small businesses       *