Migrating from UW imap to Cyrus

Andrew J Caird andrew.caird at fccc.edu
Mon Feb 2 10:09:50 EST 2004

Dwight,
  I'm starting a similar project, and have looked at several of the tools
that are out there - if you check the archives for this list for that last
two or three weeks in January 04, you'll see a discussion of this.

  Based on my very limited testing, mailutil from the UW IMAP/Pine
distribution is the best tool.  It can migrate IMAP-to-IMAP, or from
mboxfile-to-IMAP (and in the other direction).  Since, as far as I know,
UW-IMAP doesn't have an authuser option, I've successfully migrated
mailboxes from the UW-IMAP server to the Cyrus IMAP server with a command
like:

mailutil copy /imapfolders/loginid/foldername "{cyrus/novalidate-cert/authuser=cyrusadmin/user=loginid}user.loginid.foldername"

run as root on the UW-IMAP server.  On my servers/network I can transfer
about 5 messages per second.  It is interesting to run mailutil with the
-verbose and -debug flags to see what it's doing, but after a while it
just clutters the screen.

Hope this helps.
--
Andrew Caird            andrew.caird at fccc.edu               215.728.4071
Email Administrator                              Fox Chase Cancer Center