newspostuser --> To, but what about Reply-To?

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Feb 17 15:28:20 EST 2004

+archive.info-cyrus at utdallas.edu wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Ken Murchison wrote:
>

>>I've actually been looking for more info on this type of thing, and here
>>is what I found:
>>
>>http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>>http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html
>>
>>I can strip the address before transferring the article via NNTP, but
>>this doesn't help if the article is posted/replied via SMTP.
>

> Ultimately, isn't that also just an NNTP post, via lmtp2nntp?
>
> If the message is inserted directly into this folder via just lmtp,
> then the Reply-To (Newsgroups, etc.) header won't be added anyway....

True, but if the client replies to more than just the Reply-To, then the
  post address will get exposed.

> I know about the Reply-To evil stuff, but isn't this a bit different?
> I mean, we're talking about a newsgroup, not a mailing list.  With a
> mailing list, the Reply-To munging would impact all those on that
> list.  However, with a newsgroup, it's only impacting that newsgroup,
> right?

I believe so.  I have to do some more thinking and testing with clients.

> Of course I guess this all gets *really* muddy if you're doing any
> sort of mirroring between a list and a newsgroup (anybody try that
> yet?), but that's something for the implementor of such a gateway to
> worry about, right?

I suppose.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus