Cyrus and sendmail

David Brown strato dbrown at b-e-s-t-group.com
Fri Feb 6 15:14:12 EST 2004

***** Problem Description *****

Thanks to all my colleagues on the list! You have been very helpful so far,
and I am extremely grateful.

I have successfully installed Cyrus IMAP as far as I can tell (see the ver
command below), but I am still struggling with sendmail.  I know that's not
the primary focus of the group, but I haven't been able to find the answer
from other resources and I'm hoping that someone would be kind enough to
help.

After using the cyrusv2.mc config file and copying the resulting cyrusv2.cf
file to /etc/mail/sendmail.cf, I am unable to restart sendmail because of
"no local mailer".  I've tried to find the solution but return to my friends
here as a last resort.

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend!

[Please reply all.]

David Brown

***** ERROR MESSAGE *****

[root at SERVERNAME cyrus-imapd-2.1.16]# /etc/init.d/sendmail start
sendmail starten: 554 5.0.0 No local mailer defined
554 5.0.0 QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set

    [FEHLGESCHLAGEN]

***** Source Configuration *****

(Sorry, I don't think all the line endings copied correctly.)

[root at SERVERNAME cyrus-imapd-2.1.16]# cat cyrusv2.mc
divert(-1)
#
#       (C) Copyright 2000 by Carnegie Mellon University
#
#       This sample mc file is for a site that uses the Cyrus IMAP server
#       exclusively for local mail. This requires Sendmail 8.10 or later.
#
# $Id: cyrusv2.mc,v 1.4 2001/08/23 23:26:56 leg Exp $
#divert(0)

VERSIONID('cyrus configuration for redhat linux')

OSTYPE('linux')dnl
define('confBIND_OPTS','-DNSRCH -DEFNAMES')

define('confTO_IDENT','0')

dnl setting cyrus as the trusted user will make it easier to pass
dnl Sendmail's safefile checks.  however, it means that someone with the
dnl "cyrus" password could easily become root.
dnl define('confTRUSTED_USER','cyrus')
define('confTRUSTED_USER', 'cyrus')

define('confLOCAL_MAILER', 'cyrusv2')
dnl if you aren't using Sendmail 8.12, you might need to remove
dnl the following feature.
dnl FEATURE('preserve_local_plus_detail')

FEATURE('nocanonify')
FEATURE('always_add_domain')

#LOCAL_MAILER_PATH('/usr/bin/')

MAILER('local')
MAILER('cyrusv2')
MAILER('smtp')

MAILER_DEFINITIONS
Mcyrus,     P=[IPC], F=lsDFMnqA@/:|SmXz, E=\r\n,
            S=EnvFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
		T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
            A=FILE /var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp

LOCAL_RULE_0
Rbb + $+ < @ $=w . >    $#cyrus $: + $1

[root at SERVERNAME cyrus-imapd-2.1.16]#

***** Cyrus Installation Version *****

SERVERNAME> ver
name       : Cyrus IMAPD
version    : v2.1.16-Invoca-RPM-2.1.16-6 2003/11/19
16:45:28
vendor     : Project Cyrus
support-url: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus
os         : Linux