postfix 2.0.16 and cyrus w/ full e-mail usernames.

Edward Rudd eddie at omegaware.com
Sat Feb 7 13:33:44 EST 2004

My postfix 1.112 configuration is this

virtual_maps = ldap:ldapvuser
ldapvuser_query_filter = (&(objectclass=virtualinetmailuser)(uid=%s))
ldapvuser_lookup_wildcards = no
ldapvuser_result_attribute = virtualmail

mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp

 I am not using relay_transport or relay_domains at all. And I'm not
sure if that solution would work well, as I can/will be hosting an
undetermined number of domains, and don't want to update the
configuration file and restart postfix every time. I'm using what was
labeled the "postfix style "virtual domains.. so for an e-mail delivered
to test at nowhere.org postfix looks up nowhere.org in the virtual_map and
if it exists then it searches for test at nowhere.org, @nowhere.org until
it finds a mapping for that address and delivers the mail. And if not
found denies the message as that user is unknown.  (this happens at RCPT
TO: stage).   I escaped the \@ so the entire e-mail address would be
sent to the LMTP for delivery.  I saw this method "many moons ago" on
this mailing list.

Is there a different transport I need to use to get the mail to post
with the full e-mail address to the LMTP? As don't I need postfix to do
that so I can get cyrus imap 2.2.x style virtual domains working?

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 04:06, Cristian Mitrana wrote:
> Edward Rudd wrote:
> > I am currently testing an upgraded postfix from 1.1.12 to 2.0.16. and I
> > had postfix delivering mail correctly to the Cyrus LMTP socket when
> > cyrus IMAP has usernames in the form of user at domain.com. (a virtual map
> > from user at domain.com to user\\\@domain.com)  But with 2.0.16 this no
> > longer works, it tries to deliver mail to domain.com again.. and bounces
> > the message.. I posted this on the postfix users mailing list and the
> > only response I got back was that this functionality was a "bug" in
> > 1.1.12 and has been fixed in 2.0.16 (ie doesn't work on purpose).. Does
> > anyone else have a similar setup to this? and how do you have it
> > configured?  Eventually I will be moving up to cyrus-imapd 2.2.3 and
> > using the native name based virtual hosting feature..
>
> Show us the configuration of postfix. How do you deliver the mail
> to Cyrus' lmtp socket (i.e what 'transport' do you use) ?
> My config has domain.org in relay_domains and I use
> relay_transport to point to the ltmp socket.
>   Alternatively you could use a transport map ( see transport_maps)
> and not touch the relay_transport and in the map file you just
> point domain.org to the lmtp socket.
>
> mitu
>

> ---
> Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus