Terrible performance and Upgrade

Matthew baker m at wheres.co.uk
Mon Feb 9 10:48:05 EST 2004

Hi,
	Thanks for the reply.

Rob Siemborski wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Matthew Baker wrote:
>
> If you are using PAM with saslauthd, you need to be very sure that
> whatever PAM module you are using doesn't have any memory leaks, otherwise
> you'll become very sad very quickly.

pam_mysql 0.4.7 which has been patched to allow for crypt passwords and
md5 hashes. My previous server had both types stored. I suppose one
would be to move to a more stable (newer) version of pam_mysql. However,
my patch only seems to work with this version. I do remember trying
version 0.5 with not much luck. I have a spare box I'm going to retry with.

If I could convert the md5 hashed passwords to crypt ones I may be able
to get around it. This is another reason I hesitant to move to auxprop.
Needs a little more research. Any tips on how to tell if there are
memory leaks in pam_mysql?

> Long login times are often caused by
> insufficient entropy in the system.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that phrase. Do you mean I need to define
somewhere in the configuration or compile time /dev/random or
/dev/urandom? I see the compile option in cyrus-sasl. Am I barking up
the wrong tree?

Thanks for your help.

Matt
---