backend database ?

Tero Matinlassi tero.matinlassi at edu.vantaa.fi
Mon Feb 9 07:52:14 EST 2004

Lainaus Ramprasad A Padmanabhan <ramprasad at netcore.co.in>:

> On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 23:21, Joakim Ryden wrote:
>
> > on 02/08/2004 03:15 AM Michael Jonsson said the following:
> > > For all the mail...
> >
> > Mail is not stored in any database.
> >
> > --
>

> May not be now, But is there any reason mail cannot be stored in a
> database. Or a ldap directory.
> This thought occurred to me When I tried to integrate a web
> application
> with cyrus. A database will offer such a host of new possibilities

I think this subject is already discussed many times before, so you
might want to search the list archives. There's no reason why it can't
be done, but I think there's many reasons why it shouldn't be done.

IMHO it's not so good idea. You gain very little from this compared to
the trouble with it. I also think it's not very efficient, at least if
you just use a plain external database for it. Using the file system
for storing mails and separate cache/index files as Cyrus does
currently is, in my opinion, much more efficient. A database is not
optimized for mail, queries are slow compared to file access etc.

-Tero

--
Tero Matinlassi
---