usernames with an "@" symbol

Mike O'Rourke mjoop at curia.op.org
Sun Feb 8 15:42:42 EST 2004

>>> "Robin M." <robin at primus.ca> 02/08/04 09:12PM >>>
Sorry if this made it two times

Hi I am trying to get usernames with an @ symbol to work properly.

My postfix, saslauthd, and ldap all work properly. I used the Invoca
rpms
of the 2.2.3 release.

In my /etc/imapd.conf
<snip>
configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: Administrator
sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
hashimapspool: true
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
tls_cert_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_key_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_ca_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
virtdomains: yes
defaultdomain: draftmail.org
</snip>

When I try to log in to the cyrus imap server it truncates the @....
portion of the login name i.e.

[robin at pdc]# telnet localhost 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK mail.draftmail.org Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.3-Invoca-RPM-2.2.3-4 server
ready
. login robin at draftmail.org secretpass
. NO Login failed: authentication failure

[robin at pdc]# tail /var/log/ldap
Feb  8 12:30:34 pdc slapd[23259]: conn=280 op=1 SRCH
base="dc=draftmail,dc=org" scope=2 filter="(uid=robin)"

Also when I deliver mail through lmtp via postfix cyrus writes the
mailbox
out as
/var/spool/imap/r/user/robin

and using cyradm

[robin at pdc]# cyradm --user Administrator 127.0.0.1
Password:
localhost.localdomain> cm user.robin at draftmail.org
createmailbox: Invalid mailbox name
localhost.localdomain> cm user.test
localhost.localdomain> quit

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Robin,

Do users that are not in your default domain work as expected? As I
understand, the defaultdomain exists to "ease" the transition from older
versions of Cyrus-IMAPD to the 2.2.x with virtual domain support. The
theory being that any unqualified (read: pre-existing) user would be
treated as being in the default domain (and, by extension, any user in
the default domain would be treated as being unqualified.) If this is
the case, Cyrus is behaving as expected: for users in your draftmail.org
are treated as Cyrus has always treated those users so as to not break
anything for them on an upgrade.

Happily, a default domain is not required (if I remember a few posts
here correctly). If yours is a new installation, remove the
"defaultdomain" line from imapd.conf; however, you will need to create
the domain with "mkimap -d draftmail.org" and re-create the users'
mailboxes (or turn on usermoves in imapd and move them to the
draftmail.org domain).

Mike.
---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus