Cyrus 2.1.15 blocking connections after upgrade

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 9 09:58:24 EST 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> Some connections behave as expected, but some connections to port 143
> just hang. Using telnet to connect to the port shows that the TCP
> connection is established, but the Cyrus banner never appears, and
> eventually the connection times out. Once a connection has been
> established successfully, things seem to be OK. Restarting cyrus seems
> to make it easier to get connections, for a while. The Cyrus POP3 daemon
> does not appear to have this problem, but cyradm hangs before bringing
> up the password prompt.

Are you killing off unconnected imapd's recklessly or are you in a
severely resource-constrained enviornment?  Both of these could lead to
master losing count of processes.

Note that the fact that master doesn't fork a new process does not
indicate a problem of its own.

> P.S. This looks like the /dev/random problem to me in many ways, but
> given the fact I've recompiled SASL, I can't see how it could be. Is
> there anything else that tries to use /dev/random directly?

You should do a truss of an imapd as it gets a connection -- this might
give you more insight into what is going on.

-Rob