ACL usage revisted (need feedback)

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Feb 10 19:23:24 EST 2004

Joakim Ryden wrote:
> on 02/10/2004 02:10 PM Alberto Tablado said the following:
>
>> El mar, 10-02-2004 a las 22:07, Pat Lashley escribió:
>>
>>> --On Monday, February 09, 2004 17:18:39 -0800 Jason Williams
>>> <jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> I share your manager's concern about using Sendmail; but are you
>>> certain that this can't be done with Exim ?  (http://www.exim.org/)
>>>

>> Exim can. I suggest you to read chapter 33
>> (http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/spec_33.html)
>

> How is SMTP Auth going to help with this problem?

When the MUA authenticates to the MTA, the authid is passed along to
lmtpd in the AUTH= keyword in the MAIL FROM command.  lmtpd then checks
to see if this authid has posting rights on the rcpt mailbox.  Without
the authid given by the MTA, lmtpd assumes that the authid is
"anonymous", which means you would have to grant anyone posting rights
on the mailbox, which is what Jason is trying to avoid.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus