Antispam with Cyrus Imap and Sendmail

Lindner lindner_marek at yahoo.de
Sun Feb 15 04:19:40 EST 2004

Henrik Troeng wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I´m new to Cyrus and has got it up running well, but I haven't found
> any anti-spam software to use. I have found Spamassassin, but what I
> have read it is difficult to get it working with cyrus + sendmail,
> since it uses procmail?!
>

> Is there anyone out there having som experience or knowledge about
> this issue?
>

> Regards
>

> Henrik

I do not recommend the use of procmail for this purpose because your
mail delivery will get very CPU and memory expensive and so, in most
cases, very slow.
As explained by Craig it's up to the MTA to scan for spam.
Personally, i prefer Postfix-Amavis-Cyrus: Postfix gives the received
mail to Amavis which starts (in my case) at first a virus-scanner and
then spamassassin. If a virus was found the mail delivery is stopped. If
it is spam a Header-Tag will be added (X-Spam-Level). Amavis gives the
mail back to Posfix that will deliver local mail to Cyrus. Sieve is now
started and checks whether the mail has a Header-Tag named X-Spam-Level
and if true the message will be put in the INBOX.Junk folder.

Greetings,
Marek