SV: Virtual domains, user@domain.com: Mailbox unknown

Henrik Troeng henrik at troeng.com
Mon Feb 16 13:33:08 EST 2004

>Hi all,
>
>I have a problem, I use multiple domains but for users I create with
the
>domain specified, for example postmaster at htc.troeng.com it can't
receive
>mail. When I try to send to this user I get back a reply from
Mailer-Daemon
>that says "550-Mailbox Unknown". Either there is no mailbox
associated
>550-name or you don't have authorization to see it".
>
>If I create the user "user.postmaster" it works fine, but the user
>"user.postmaster at htc.troeng.com" wont accept any mail.
>
>Here is my imapd.conf:
>
>configdirectory: /var/imap
>partition-default: /var/spool/imap
>admins: cyrus root Henrik
>sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN
>sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
>servername: htc.troeng.com
>virtdomains: yes
>defaultdomain: troeng.com
>
>I have set up the domain in the local-host-names config file for
sendmail.

>Here is the error message:
>
>"The original message was received at Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:47:04 +0100
>from lmdeliver01.st1.spray.net [212.78.202.210]
>
>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>
>root
>
>    (reason: 550-Mailbox unknown.  Either there is no mailbox
associated with this)

>    (expanded from: <postmaster at htc.troeng.com>)
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>
>... while talking to localhost:

><<< 550-Mailbox unknown.  Either there is no mailbox associated
>
>with this
>
><<< 550-name or you do not have authorization to see it.
>
><<< 550 5.1.1 User unknown
>
>550 5.1.1 root... User unknown
>
><<< 503 5.5.1 No recipients
>
>"
>Henrik

Hi Henrik,

You evidently have postmaster aliased to root in /etc/mail/aliases (a
common; nay default alias in sendmail), so sendmail will never try to
deliver to postmaster, but only to root (as evidenced by the "(expanded
from: <postmaster at htc.troeng.com>)" line).

Either change the alias to send it to the correct user (don't forget to
re-build the aliases database!), or delete it (ditto on the "don't
forget") and let it go to the postmaster mailbox you have created.

Mike.
---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus

I'm sorry to say, but this has nothing to do with my problem. I have the
same problem with other usernames also.. So this is not just a postmaster
problem.
To be sure, I did test what you wrote, it made no difference...

What can be wrong?

I did check the imapd.log file and got some output:

about to exec /usr/cyrus/bin/lmtpd
executed
accepted  connection
lmtp connection preauth'd as postman
append_check() of 'user.postmaster' failed (Mailbox does not exist)

//Henrik

---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus