Invalid mailbox name?

trichard trichard at hypermall.net
Tue Feb 17 19:36:02 EST 2004

Thanks Mike...Results inline below:

Mike O'Rourke wrote:
> try this:
> imtest -u test -a test -t '' localhost
> (after the -t those are 2 single-quotes.)
>
> At the end of a lot of diagnostics, it should ask for your password.
> type it in and hit <ENTER>. If it says "Authenticated", you are
> connected and in;

[root at post root]# imtest -u test -a test -t '' localhost
S: * OK post.domain.com Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.3 server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE
STARTTLS AUTH=GSSAPI AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5 SASL-IR
S: C01 OK Completed
C: S01 STARTTLS
S: S01 OK Begin TLS negotiation now
verify error:num=18:self signed certificate
TLS connection established: TLSv1 with cipher DES-CBC3-SHA (168/168 bits)
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE
AUTH=GSSAPI AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5 SASL-IR
S: C01 OK Completed
Authentication failed. generic failure
Security strength factor: 168

> on the other hand, it says "No Authentication
> failed", you are not. If you did not authenticate, hit CTRL-D and add
> "-m plain" to the command above bofore "localhost" and try again.

[root at post root]# imtest -u test -a test -t '' -m plain localhost
[...]
Please enter your password:
C: A01 AUTHENTICATE PLAIN dGVzdAB0ZXN0AHRlc3QxMjM=
S: A01 NO user not found
Authentication failed. generic failure
Security strength factor: 168

> If you are not able to authenticate, put the following line in your
> /etc/imapd.conf after sasl_pwcheck_method:
> sasl_auxprop_plugin: sasldb
> and try again.
> Let me know what it says.

/ETC/IMAPD.CONF
-----------------
configdirectory: /var/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: cyrus root
allowanonymouslogin: no
sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
sasl_auxprop_plugin: sasldb
tls_cert_file: /var/imap/server.pem
tls_key_file: /var/imap/server.pem
tls_session_timeout: 0

[...]

Appears to be a user not found error?  Thanks VERY much for your help
Mike.  I really appreciate your assistance.  :)

-trichard

---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus