Fw: Re: Virtual domains, user@domain.com: Mailbox unknown

Andrzej Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl
Sat Feb 21 01:27:14 EST 2004

Mike O'Rourke wrote:
>>Christopher Paluch <cpaluch at mindspring.com> 02/20/04 11:14pm >>>
>>
>>After installing a version of Cyrus that actually supports Virtual
>
> Domains (doh!) and getting the sendmail.mc
>
>>setup properly, it looks like I got it working.
>>
>>I still would like to be able to get root mail accepted and sent to
>
> the old fashioned /var/spool/mail files, but
>
>>still haven't figured that one out yet. I will keep on plugging away
>
> at it.  I tried sending it to a Cyrus
>
>>account,which I was able to do, but I couldn't get the IMAP client
>
> configured right to login and get the mail.
>
>>Thanks everyone for your help.
>>

> Hi Chris,
>
> Congratulations!
>
> For sending mail to unix users, you might take a look at Andrzej's page
> that he mentioned in a post yesterday:
>
> Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip:
> "I promote a few alternative ways of cyrus and sendmail integration,
> all of
> them use local mailer for some users and curys||cyrusv2 for other
> [ e.g. http://anfi.webhop.net/sendmail/localtab.html ]"
>
> I had a look at it, and it looks slick. Although the examples seem to
> presume that your default local mailer is "local" rather than "cyrusv2",
> it might be able to be used in the reverse sense -- i.e. your default
> local mailer is cyrusv2, and you put in the localtable something like:
>
> root        local:chris
>
> to send root's mail to your "chris" unix account.
>
> Andrzej, is this interpretation correct?

It is perfectly OK.

Another option is to use LOCALized version of Cyrus Aliases
http://anfi.webhop.net/sendmail/localNalias.htm

P.S.
In bright future ahead sendmail 8.13 will use socketmap protocol [protocol to
query external programs] to ask cyrus about valid mailboxes *during* smtp
session [AFAIK socketmap support has been added to development version of
CYRUS (CVS)]

Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl anfi at xl.wp.pl
http://anfi.webhop.net http://slashdot.org/~anfi
---