Alternative ways of sendmail & cyrus integration [Was: Virtual domains, user@domain.com: Mailbox unknown]

Andrzej Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl
Mon Feb 23 07:23:11 EST 2004

Andrzej Filip wrote:
> Mike O'Rourke wrote:
> [...]
> For sending mail to unix users, you might take a look at Andrzej's page
> that he mentioned in a post yesterday:
>
> Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip:
> "I promote a few alternative ways of cyrus and sendmail integration,
> all of them use local mailer for some users and curys||cyrusv2 for other
> [ e.g. http://anfi.webhop.net/sendmail/localtab.html ]"
>
> I had a look at it, and it looks slick. Although the examples seem to
> presume that your default local mailer is "local" rather than "cyrusv2",
> it might be able to be used in the reverse sense -- i.e. your default
> local mailer is cyrusv2, and you put in the localtable something like:
> [...]

I would like to (once again) present three alternative ways of sendmail &
cyrus integration
1) Cyrus Aliases
http://anfi.webhop.net/sendmail/localNalias.html
2) Local Table
http://anfi.webhop.net/sendmail/localtab.html
3) Real Time Integration
http://anfi.webhop.net/sendmail/rtcyrus.html

1) Cyrus Aliases
http://anfi.webhop.net/sendmail/localNalias.html

It allows to select delivery to cyrus in aliases, virtusertable or ~/.forward
file, or to select local mailer if cyrus is used as default "local" mailer [as
Mike suggested]
  e.g.

1A) aliases (sendmail configuration file):
user1:	user1 at CYRUSV2, \user1, userx at another.host
user2:	user2 at CYRUSV2

1B) virtusertable (sendmail configuration file):
#
# deliver messages to all mailboxes in example.net to cyrus mailer
#
@example.net	%1 at CYRUSV2
#
# redirect one use to cyrus mailbox
#
user1 at example.com	%1 at CYRUSV2
#
# deliver messages to "valid" mailboxes in example.org to cyrus
# reject remaining addresses in example.org
#
userx at example.org	userx at CYRUSV2
usery at example.org	usery at CYRUSV2
@example.org	error:nouser User unknown

1C) ~login/.forward file:
login at CYRUSV2
\login
somebody at another.host

The above .forward file will make sendmail deliver message to cyrus mailbox,
system mailbox, and mailbox on another host

* Localtable and Cyrus Aliases can be used together.
2) Local Table
http://anfi.webhop.net/sendmail/localtab.html

It allows to select local or cyrus mailer alter aliases and ~/.forward expansion.

It allows postmaster to set delivery to cyrus mailbox for give OS account but
user can "override" it in his/her ~/.forward file

Postmaster can use special script to generate periodically localtable based on
existing cyrus mailboxes
[http://anfi.webhop.net/sendmail/makelocaltable]

* Localtable and Cyrus Aliases can be used together.
* Method 3 check cyrus mailbox presence in "real time"
3) Real Time Cyrus Integration
http://anfi.webhop.net/sendmail/rtcyrus.html

It requires patching sendmail sources but allows sendmail to check existence
of cyrus mailbox in "real time"
[http://anfi.webhop.net/sendmail/_FFR_MAP_FSTAT.html]

* Method 2 can use periodically generated list on valid cyrus mailboxes

P.S.
Feel free to send me your comments and questions.

- --
Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl anfi at xl.wp.pl
http://anfi.webhop.net http://slashdot.org/~anfi
---