Alternative ways of sendmail & cyrus integration [Was: Virtual domains, user@domain.com: Mailbox unknown]

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Sat Feb 28 11:32:13 EST 2004

Hi Andrzej,

thanks for your replies.

-- Andrzej Filip <anfi at priv.onet.pl> is rumored to have mumbled on
Mittwoch, 25. Februar 2004 22:50 Uhr +0100 regarding Re: Alternative ways
of sendmail & cyrus integration [Was: Virtual domains, user at domain.com:
Mailbox unknown]:

>>> 3) Real Time Cyrus Integration
>>> http://anfi.webhop.net/sendmail/rtcyrus.html
>>
>> if I understand the description correctly, this approach doesn't
>> currently handle hashed spools, does it?
>
> It can't handle hashed spools *NOW*.
> Making sendmail support hashing based on first letter of mailbox is
> simple.

I don't think I'll take this route, but for completeness' sake, that's not
the kind of hashing Cyrus uses ... I guess you'd actually have to read
mailboxes.db to find out where a given user's folder is.

> Another way of "real time sendmail & cyrus integration is to make
> sendmail use   "socket map" daemon available in CVS of Cyrus or creating
> custom "socket map" daemon.

> Please let me know which option would you like to use yourself:
> a) making sendmail to use regex map [regular expressions] to generate
> "hashed" path to cyrus mailboxes

I don't think that's feasible.

> b) patching sendmail 8.12 (socketmap patch) and

I'd be OK with that.

> b1) using CVS version of cyrus

If I understand Ken correctly, standard Cyrus 2.2.3 supports this. It's not
necessary to use a version from CVS.

> b2) using custom "socket map" daemon

I'll have to think about that some more. Migrating to Cyrus 2.2 is on my
TODO list anyway. I guess I'll build a patched sendmail and play around
with the socket map feature.

-- Andrzej Filip <anfi at priv.onet.pl> is rumored to have mumbled on
Donnerstag, 26. Februar 2004 18:10 Uhr +0100 regarding Re: Alternative ways
of sendmail & cyrus integration [Was: Virtual domains, user at domain.com:
Mailbox unknown]:

> Below please find modified sendmail.mc lines to make sendmail check cyrus
> mailbox existence using socket map [instead of fstat map]:
> ----->
> dnl
> dnl *.mc file modifications for real time integration of cyrus and
> sendmail
> dnl
> dnl It makes sendmail define user map in sendmail.cf
> define(`LUSER_RELAY')
> LOCAL_CONFIG
> # cyrus - map for file stat checking
> Kcyrus socket local:_path_to_smmapd_socket_
> dnl
> dnl
> LOCAL_RULESETS
> SLocal_localaddr
> # Treat system mailboxes as usual
> R$+             $: $(user $1 $)
> R$+ <>          $@

I suppose I'd leave these two rules out, there are no system mailboxes.

> # Detect cyrus mailboxes - deliver via cyrus mailer
> R$+             $: $1 <$(cyrus $1 $: $)>
> R$<$+>          $# cyrus $: @$1
> # Treat remaining as usual
> R$*             $@
> <-----
>
> I hope will publish next version next week:
> * capable to support cyrus virtual domains
> * milter-sender friendly
> [current version creates problems with checking local address validity]

Could you elaborate on that? What exactly is the problem?

Thanks, Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - Postmaster - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zimmer 18
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK