SASL not initializing?

J.C. Roberts unknown at abac.com
Thu Feb 26 08:05:12 EST 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:33:28 -0600, you wrote:

>I downloaded the latest sources (SASL 2.1.17, imapd 2.2.3) from the
>website and tried recompiling, but didn't get significantly further,
>although auth.log is only showing
>
>Feb 25 20:28:38 schizo imtest[12643]: [ID 702911 auth.notice] Bad
>IPLOCALPORT value
>
>when running imtest.

Previously, you were getting errors on IPLOCALPORT and IPREMOTEPORT but
not you're just getting IPLOCALPORT... Any chance this is a permission
problem (permissions too loose) or a firewall problem (things getting
blocked that should be open for connections).

Could you post your (current) build options for SASL and IMAPD?

The error you mentioned originally

	imtest -m login mail.nerdherd.net
	failure: SASL initialization

is interesting. There's a remote chance the problem is because things
are not being found where they should be (i.e. you can't initalize what
you can't find).

The SASL build option
    --with-sasl=/usr/local/cyrus

will put libsasl2{.a .so .la} into the directory stated. The sasl auth
mech plugins will still go into /usr/local/cyrus/lib/sasl2/. -Which may
be confusing.

You may want to use --with-sasl=/usr/local/cyrus/lib rather than just
--prefix=/usr/local/cyrus so you're certain where things are going. The
same can be done for the SASL auth mech plugins directory
(--with-plugindir=/usr/local/cyrus/lib/sasl2).

The original build options for SASL you posted would place libsasl2.so
into /usr/local/cyrus/lib/ but you told imapd that it should look in
/usr/local/cyrus/ for sasl (--with-sasl=/usr/local/cyrus).

I have not read the imapd source so I'm not sure what the --with-sasl=
option does but I'd bet it's expecting the location of where you put
libsasl2.{a so}. Also, assuming your prefix is /usr/local/cyrus/ and
your libsasl2 is in /usr/local/cyrus/lib/ it's helpful to add the
following links

	ln -s /usr/local/cyrus/lib/sasl2 /usr/lib/sasl
	ln -s /usr/local/cyrus/lib/libsasl.so.2.17 \
	/usr/local/cyrus/lib/libsasl2.so

before compiling anything (impad, sendmail etc) that will use these
libs. Personally, I also build *.so links like the latter for all of the
auth mech plugins in the plugins dir. It's probably overkill but what
the heck.

JCR