proxyd goes crazy on frontend server

Matt Hoskins matth at npgco.com
Wed Feb 25 18:19:21 EST 2004

Hello:

    I'm running cyrus 2.2.3 murder.  I've noticed on the frontend servers, processes will start to consume 99%
of cpu.  Mostly, it's the pop3d, pop3proxyd, imapd, imapproxyd.  After a while, the process is killed
(presumably by master), and in the logs I see a line like this:

     Feb 25 17:00:58 front1 master[3814]: service imap pid 29920 in BUSY state: terminated abnormally

I did an strace on a process that was spinning out of control and this is what I see:

select(11, [0 10], NULL, NULL, {60, 0}) = 1 (in [10], left {60, 0})
time(NULL)                              = 1077749953
open("/usr/cyrus/config/msg/shutdown", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
time(NULL)                              = 1077749953

Over and Over and Over and Over and Over again...It's in a infinite loop.

I like the fact that the process dies after a while so that my server doesn't crash, but the fact that it
started spinning out of control worries me.

Here is the machine info:

OS: RH9
Berkeley: 4.1.25
cyrus-imap: 2.2.3
cyrus-sasl: 2.1.15

Dual Pentium 4 xeon @ 2.4GHz (hyperthreading enabled)
Memory: 1024 Mb

I'll provide more information if needed.

Thanks!

Matt Hoskins

---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus