What does "ctl_cyrusdb -r" do ?

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Thu Feb 26 16:12:36 EST 2004

Hi,

I have a few question about database recovery, aka "ctl_cyrusdb -r".

What exactly is the purpose of database recovery ?  On which database
does it operate ?  If the database is corrupted, can it fix it ?  The
way I understand it is that, in case imapd stop abruptely, it will
recover the database from the last checkpoint.  Is this exact ?

I suppose how long it take to recover a database is dependant on many
factor, but what would b the longest it should take usually ?  I am
asking because we had it running for two hours once, and I am not
entirely sure it was working at all.  It was using 100% of the CPU but
it did not seem to write to the mailboxes.db.  Since we had no way of
telling if it was working or not,  we decided to stop and rebuild the
database from scratch instead.

Also, is there any way to get progress information out of it ?  I can
see in the man page that there is no verbose option, but is there any
other way to see what it is doing ?

Thanks very much !

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
---