Cyrus IMAP server + multiple kerberos realms/virtual domains

Nikola Milutinovic Nikola.Milutinovic at ev.co.yu
Wed Dec 1 01:58:55 EST 2004

Hi all.

The question may seam complex, but here goes:

QUESTION
--------

Can Cyrus IMAPD (and how) support multiple Kerberos realms via  SASL/GSSAPI?

CLARIFICATION/RATIONALE
-----------------------

This question arises from our planned move to MS Active Directory
Service. Since we are a large company, we will have several
sub-directories or sub-domains. This will result in having multiple
Kerberos "sub-realms". I do know that Kerberos has no concept of
hierarchy, that's why I'm using quatation marks.

It will be neccessary for us to have at least one Cyrus IMAPD that will
serve users from two or more dirs/domains/realms. Since Cyrus 2.2.x
supports virtual domains, delivery is no problem - although I will have
some address rewriting issues to solve, but that is for the MTA to handle.

My idea was to use GSSAPI and GSSAPI capable mail readers (Outlook
Express) in conjunction with MS ADS. I've seen posts of people who did
it and it sounded like a relatively easy thing to do. I understand that
I must have a complete match between Cyrus VDomain and ADS domain for a
particular user.

My question is, will authentication work for multiple domains? Can Cyrus
IMAP be supplied with more than one principal? Will it choose
appropriate server principal for a particular user principal?

EXAMPLE
-------

Let's say I have two ADS domains (Kerberos realms), with the following
principals:

Domain:  up.ev.co.yu
Realm:   UP.EV.CO.YU
Service: IMAP/IMAP.up.ev.co.yu at UP.EV.CO.YU
user:    milutinovicn at UP.EV.CO.YU

Domain:  pb.ev.co.yu
Realm:   PB.EV.CO.YU
Service: IMAP/IMAP.pb.ev.co.yu at PB.EV.CO.YU
user:    nixie at PB.EV.CO.YU

Now suppose I have 2 client machines and users from those machines want
to access their mailboxes, which are regularly created. How will IMAPD
handle this situation? What service key will be used? Will it choose one
key for "UP.EV.CO.YU" and the other for "PB.EV.CO.YU", depending on what
realm the client uses?

Any hints for the config?

Nix.