Cyrus IMAPD + Cyrus SASL + MySQL : Problem while trying to use non plaintext login

Gerald C. list at psycho-hazard.net
Wed Dec 1 11:08:35 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm new with cyrus system and i'm actually trying to configure it.
By now, everything works fine. I use saslauthd with pam_mysql for
authenticating my users.
I can create my user with cyradm (after adding it to mysql db), and then use
the account in a MUA with no problem.

The problem is that Cyrus imapd tell me that it doesn't support CRAM MD5 nor
MD5 DIGEST. Plaintext login is quiet unsecure.
I lookup the doc and it seems as if such authentification method are only
available while using sasldb ?
So is it impossible to use saslauthd + pam_mysql (or auxprop with plugin sql
the two method works) with CRAMMD5 or DIGESTMD5 ?

For information, i use cyrus-imapd 2.2.8 and cyrus-sasl2 2.1.20 on a Debian
stable (Woody) with Postfix.
I make my own packages for cyrus-imap and cyrus-sasl (Debian stable's one were
to old and doesn't support virtual domain).
If you want this packages: http://yanluo.net/~binarym/, they'are always under
creation, so unperfect, but the binaries are ok. I'll try to follow security
issues.

Regards,

Gérald.

--