best filesystem for imap server

Jules Agee julesa at pcf.com
Wed Dec 1 13:01:03 EST 2004

This has been discussed on the list before, check the archives. I assume
with the hardware you mentioned, you're running Linux. For Linux, the
consensus here seems to be XFS is the best, though I don't know what
other filesystems these people have compared XFS to, or how detailed
their testing was. I'm using reiserfs3 on a server that's averaging ~400
concurrent IMAP connections with good results, so that's another good
option.

ext3 is not recommended. Newer versions of ext3 support directory
indexing, but from what I've read, even if you activate that feature it
still doesn't work very well with directories that contain thousands of
files, when compared with other available filesystems.

-Jules

Hamish wrote:
> Hello everyone
> I dont want to start a religious battle, but could I have some opinions
> on filesystems for a 100ish user imap server? I have 2x 250G western
> digital disks to use.
> Thanks
> ---

Jules Agee