best filesystem for imap server

David Lang david.lang at digitalinsight.com
Wed Dec 1 15:14:01 EST 2004

I've done some testing and seen a HUGE speedup when switching from EXT2/3
to XFS. unfortunantly I haven't had a chance to do the same comparison
with Reiserfs (I need to, but haven't had time)

I was even able to see a dramatic difference with a single user accessing
a fairly large mailbox (thousands of messages in the inbox)

David Lang

  On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, John
Madden wrote:

> Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 13:12:57 -0500 (EST)
> From: John Madden <jmadden at ivytech.edu>
> To: lists at subvs.co.uk
> Cc: info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
> Subject: Re: best filesystem for imap server
>
>> I dont want to start a religious battle, but could I have some opinions
>> on filesystems for a 100ish user imap server? I have 2x 250G western
>> digital disks to use.
>
> I think the performance of those disks (and the RAID you put on them) will
> be much more significant that the filesystem you use, considering the size
> of your user population.  And given that factor, I'd say that even ext3
> won't give you any problems performance-wise.  Still, reiserfs, IMO, would
> be preferable for mail files.
>
> John
>

> --
> John Madden