ReiserFS and general cyrus filesystem usage information - was Re: best filesystem for imap server

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Thu Dec 2 15:48:02 EST 2004

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004, Rob Mueller wrote:
> We use reiserfs for our large cyrus installation. We changed from ext3
[...]

That was very interesting and useful data, thanks for posting it!

> Ordered = Data is written before meta-data journal is committed. This
> avoids filesystem and data corruption. This is now the default in >= 2.6.8.1
> Data = All data and meta-data is written to the journal

Ordered would be best for a Cyrus spoll, and I guess Data would be best on
MTAs (when they have a small enough queue lifetime for most messages, and
the journal is large enough).

> turned out that's not the major IO bottleneck. We've found that the
> mailboxes.db, .seen and quota databases generate the most IO. Putting these

Indeed. Although why mailboxes.db (when using the BDB backend, anyway) has
so much IO I have no idea.  Once read, BDB should be doing IPC to fetch it
from in-memory cache, not trashing the disk.  Unless writes to mailboxes.db
are very common.

> One other useful feature of reiserfs is the "tails" feature. This is on by
> default, and it means that multiple small files can be stored in 1 disk
> block. On a space limited nvram drive, this is very useful for the legacy
> quota system which uses 1 file small file per quota root (eg usually per

No doubts about that one (since we're talking about a nvram drive here).  I
wonder if it is such a great idea on a slow device (disk), though.  Do you
have this data?

> wouldn't be appropriate. We could have used bdb, but generally have had
> lots of problems with bdb so don't entirely trust it...

I don't know of anyone sane that trusts any BDB on the 4.x series.

> I should add potential problem as well. There appears to be an issue on
> heavily loaded linux servers with the way the the cyrus skiplist db works.
[...]
> problem existed in ext3 as well
> (http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0409.0/0966.html). It seems
> this is a very rare problem though since no-one else has reported it. There
> are patches available to fix both in case anyone else has come across it.

You mean the patches on the threads, or patches available somewhere else
(where?)

> All up, we've been very happy with reiserfs and i'd recommend people use
> it, especially in >= 2.6.8.1 kernels where data=ordered is now the default
> option.

How stable and stress-tested is data=ordered? and what about the full
journalling (which might be a good thing on MTAs)?

  Henrique Holschuh