sasldb2 and hostnames

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Dec 3 15:18:07 EST 2004

I'm rather new to Cyrus and SASL (actually, I'm still experimenting with
it, and with various available forms of authentications).

There is one question about sasldb2 authentication mechanism and
hostnames.  If I understood correctly, with sasldb2, keys are
user at hostname.  So if I use saslpasswd2 -c user, it will add
user at hostname to sasldb2 file.  When cyrus-imapd authenticates user, it
will look up user at hostname.

What happens if I change hostname to newhost?  I guess in that case,
authentication will start failing.  Database contains user at hostname, and
cyrus-imapd will be looking up user at newhost.

Is there an easy way of converting entries in sasldb2 file after the
hostname change, to update only the hostname part?

Or can I (in some configuration file) instruct saslpasswd2 and
cyrus-imapd not to use host name, but rather domain name (insted of
user at foo.bar.com, use user at bar.com)?  I found there's -u option to
saslpasswd2 (so there's one way to do it, although doing it in
configuration file would be prefered).  But how about cyrus-imapd?  The
only similar option is loginrealms, but that one doesn't do what I need
(it allows logins from specfied realms, but does not change default
realm).  There are some other options conataing "realm" word, but for
most part they don't sound as they are what I would need (at least the
way they are documented).

I've went through (well, at least some) of the documentation, and
attempted to Google around, checked comp.mail.imap, and archives of this
mailing list, but wasn't able to find answers (other than one web page
warning that if hostname is changed after the users are set up, they
won't be able to authenticate).