Can't send emails to user+shared.... mailbox

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Dec 6 14:29:40 EST 2004

Torsten E. wrote:
> Good morning list,
>
> some weeks ago I sent an question regarding this problem, and now I'll
> try it again.
>
> Subject is:
> can't send emails eg. to user+share.lists.cyrus-imap at domain.tld, or
> resp. user+shared.share.lists.cyrus-imap at domain.tld anymore, with
> installed cyrus-imap 2.2.9 & 2.2.10.
> Emails can be send to user+test at domain.tld.
> (Above is an example - no email could be send to any subscribed
> shared-folder (mailboxes with prefix "share").)

You have two problems:

1. the altnamespace prefixes are only used for presentation to IMAP
clients, they are not used for mail delivery.  mail delivery bascially
uses the admin's view of the mailstore

2. you have postuser set to 'cyrus', so anything that you want to sent
to a shared mailbox must be sent to this "user"

so, try sending to cyrus+<mailbox>, e.g.:

cyrus+share.lists.cyrus-imap at domain.tld

> [...]
>   strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
>   transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport
>   unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
>
> /etc/postfix/master.cf:
> smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
> #smtps    inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
> #  -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
> #submission   inet    n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
> #  -o smtpd_enforce_tls=yes -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes -o
> smtpd_etrn_restrictions=reject
> #628      inet  n       -       n       -       -       qmqpd
> pickup    fifo  n       -       n       60      1       pickup
> cleanup   unix  n       -       n       -       0       cleanup
> qmgr      fifo  n       -       n       300     1       qmgr
> #qmgr     fifo  n       -       n       300     1       oqmgr
> #tlsmgr   fifo  -       -       n       300     1       tlsmgr
> rewrite   unix  -       -       n       -       -       trivial-rewrite
> bounce    unix  -       -       n       -       0       bounce
> defer     unix  -       -       n       -       0       bounce
> trace     unix  -       -       n       -       0       bounce
> verify    unix  -       -       n       -       1       verify
> flush     unix  n       -       n       1000?   0       flush
> proxymap  unix  -       -       n       -       -       proxymap
> smtp      unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp
> relay     unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp
> #       -o smtp_helo_timeout=5 -o smtp_connect_timeout=5
> showq     unix  n       -       n       -       -       showq
> error     unix  -       -       n       -       -       error
> local     unix  -       n       n       -       -       local
> virtual   unix  -       n       n       -       -       virtual
> lmtp      unix  -       -       n       -       -       lmtp
> anvil     unix  -       -       n       -       1       anvil
> #localhost:10025 inet   n       -       n       -       -       smtpd -o
> content_filter=
> #
> maildrop  unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>   flags=DRhu user=vmail argv=/usr/local/bin/maildrop -d ${recipient}
> cyrus     unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>   user=cyrus argv=/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/deliver -e -r ${sender} -m
> ${extension} ${user}
> uucp      unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>   flags=Fqhu user=uucp argv=uux -r -n -z -a$sender - $nexthop!rmail
> ($recipient)
> ifmail    unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>   flags=F user=ftn argv=/usr/lib/ifmail/ifmail -r $nexthop ($recipient)
> bsmtp     unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>   flags=Fq. user=foo argv=/usr/local/sbin/bsmtp -f $sender $nexthop
> $recipient
> procmail  unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>   flags=R user=nobody argv=/usr/bin/procmail -t -m /etc/procmailrc

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127