Newbie needs help with migration from uw-imap

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Tue Dec 7 10:54:54 EST 2004

Sasa Stupar wrote:
> I have finaly imported all the messages. I needed to change path in
> scripts. So I have done everything and ad to sendmail conf lines
> define(`confLOCAL_MAILER', `cyrusv2')
> MAILER(cyrusv2)

You'll also need:

define(`CYRUSV2_MAILER_ARGS', `FILE /var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp')

[ snipety snip some logs ]

> and so on.
> As I have checked, ther is no deliver.db file nor db folder under
> /var/lib/imap.
> Any hints how to resolve this?

Strange, those should have been created for you automatically, if you
used Cyrus IMAP daemon from FC3 RPM packages.  I'd check permissions and
ownerships.  Most of the error messages point into that direction.
/var/lib/imap and everything inthere should be owned by user cyrus,
group mail.  All files and directories should be accessible only by user
cyrus (not by group).  Exceptions are /var/lib/imap and
/var/lib/imap/socket (750) and /var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp special file
(777, root:root ownership).

Also, some of those error messages look like those related to db4/glibc
bug in FC2 (that was supposedly fixed in FC3 version of glibc).  If you
are running i686 or FC3 you shouldn't be affected by it.  You said you
are running FC3, so it is kind of strange.  Maybe the thing was in
presmissions only.  If you are running i586 on FC2, than you will be
affected by that bug.  I can provide you with alternative db4 RPM
packages that have unofficial fix for the problem in case you are
running FC2 on i586 or older system (it's the same as distribution db4,
minus NPTL on i586 and older).

In short, the problem on FC2 was that db4 was compiled to use NPTL,
however only i686 version of glibc library had support for it.  If you
were running i586 system or older, i386 version of glibc library was
installed, which of course doesn't have support for NPTL.  On FC3, the
i386 version of glibc is acutally i486 (the name of RPM package is
slightly "incorrect"), so it does have NPTL support and things are
working correctly (unless you really have Intel 80386 procesor, in which
case things are not working at all because your glibc uses i486
instruction set).