"Message contains NUL characters"

Andrew Dietz andrew.dietz at library.gatech.edu
Thu Dec 9 09:58:24 EST 2004

Hello,

I use Cyrus-IMAPd 2.2.10 + Postfix 2.1.1 + SpamAssassin + Amavis +
Squirrelmail, all from RPM on a Fedora Core 2 box -- works great.

Recently I came across a message (successfully delivered to my mailbox) that
refused to copy to the Sent folder (a special folder created by Squirrelmail)
when I attempted to forward it. The error that consistently displayed was:

ERROR : Could not append message to INBOX/Sent.
Server responded: Message contains NUL characters

The message has a MIME attachment of type text/html, and upon inspecting the
file, discovered that it had been created with "Microsoft Word 10" and indeed
contained a null character (displayed in vi as "^@") at the very end (a M$
Word version of EOF??).

This issue seems related to an earlier problem I spotted when copying messages
local to Microsoft Outlook Express into an IMAP folder on a Cyrus server --
same occasional error message: "Message contains NUL characters", preventing
those messages from being copied to the server.

Naturally, I am inclined to allow messages with NUL characters to be
delivered, as bouncing legitimate messages to unsuspecting, technically
unsavvy senders is not an option.

How can I have Cyrus ignore NUL characters in messages?

Thanks in advance for any help  you can provide.

--
ANDREW DIETZ
Systems Administrator

        This email was composed using the GTEL Webmail client.

to  which  it  is  addressed  and  may  contain  confidential  and/or
priviledged  material. Any  review, retransmission,  dissemination or
other  use  of, or  taking  of any  action  in  reliance  upon, this
information  by persons or entities other than the intended recipient
is prohibited.

           Georgia Tech Library and Information Center
                  http://www.library.gatech.edu