"Message contains NUL characters"

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Dec 9 10:57:38 EST 2004

Andrew Dietz wrote:
> Naturally, I am inclined to allow messages with NUL characters to be
> delivered, as bouncing legitimate messages to unsuspecting, technically
> unsavvy senders is not an option.
>
> How can I have Cyrus ignore NUL characters in messages?

You'd probably need to edit Cyrus source code and recompile.

BTW, Symantec server based anti-virus products will bounce all messages
with NUL character (and it isn't something that can be turned off
either).  Some mail servers will do the same.  It isn't Cyrus specific
thing.  NUL characters are bad in email, and can couse unpredictable
behaviour in some mail clients, if they don't have code to handle this
special case (most don't, and fact that things work is more due to blind
luck, than design).  My advice would be to protect your technically
unsavvy and unsuspecting users by bouncing messages that contain NUL
character.