using shared mailboxes

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Dec 10 12:38:52 EST 2004

I've setup shared mailbox using examples from "Managing IMAP" book.  It
works, except that I have no idea how to append messages to this mailbox.

I've created the mailbox as follows:

localhost> cm user.foo
localhost> cm user.foo.bar
localhost> sam user.foo.bar anyone lr
localhost> sam user.foo.bar someuser p

Using Mozilla Thunderbird (properties->sharing), I can see that I have
read, lookup and post rights on user.foo.bar mailbox when I'm logged in
as someuser.  But, how to actually post anything into that mailbox?

If I just send email to foo+bar at somewhere.com (with
someuser at somewhere.com), the message ends up in user.foo, not in
user.foo.bar.  I'd kind of expected this (sender's address is easlly
forged, so it wouldn't make sense to use it for this purpose).

If I try to select a message from my mailbox and copy it over to
user.foo.bar using Thunderbird's "Copy To" menu command, it doesn't work
either.  Thunderbird displays folders up to user.foo, and than it
presents me with empty list of folders (it doesn't even displays
user.foo.bar).  Drag&Drop doesn't work either.  And there's no option of
composing the message directly into user.foo.bar.

Is this bug in Thuderbird, or are things supposed to work in some
different way?  How?