Email marked as runeaded

Paul Boven p.boven at chello.nl
Fri Dec 17 07:59:43 EST 2004

Hi Philip,

Phillip Neumann wrote:

> when i connect with my IMAP client to the server, i see my messages. All
> are marked as unreaded. So when i click one mail, it gets in the readed
> state. Thats ok. Now i disconnect, and connect again, and message is
> unread again...  I cannot distiguish which messages are new and wich are
> old... :-(
> another thing is what i see in the logs very often:
>
> Dec 14 15:29:23 www imaps[90354]: Could not open seen state for bob
> (System I/O error)
> Dec 14 15:29:32 www imaps[90354]: DBERROR: skiplist recovery
> /var/imap/user/b/bob.seen: ADD at 1628 exists
> Dec 14 15:29:32 www imaps[90354]: DBERROR: opening
> /var/imap/user/b/bob.seen: cyrusdb error

Your problem here is that the 'seen' database, which keeps tracks for
you which emails you have already read, has become corrupted. The
easiest thing you could do would be to simply stop cyrus, remove the
file /var/imap/user/b/bob.seen completely, and start cyrus again. It
will cause cyrus to create a new database and afterwards will keep
proper track again.
The reason your database got corrupted could for instance be that the
/var-filesystem become full sometime ago: this is what caused a lot of
our seen-databases to become corrupt.
If there is a lot of information in your seen-database you could also
attempt to 'repair' the database by removing the corrupt transaction at
the end. We did this and it works fine but is a bit awkward. For more
information, please see e.g.

http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&msg=19536

Regards, Paul Boven.