Cyrus Installation

Christopher Pietrzykowski cpietrzykowski at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 07:10:33 EST 2004

I'm *really* new to this list but I've been wrecking my sleep patterns
reading and tweaking my Cyrus installation.

OS: FreeBSD5
I have both SASL 2.1.20 and IMAPd 2.2.10 installed.

Here's what I'd like to do:
- Authenticate against Unix system users.
- Authenticate users in the same domain but without requiring entries
in the passwd file.

Now I believe this has something to do with "sasl_pwcheck_method" in
the conf file; but I can't figure out what the two values mean --
"auxprop" and "saslauthd". I can authenticate with a user created via
"saslpasswd2" if the value is set to "saslauthd" but I still don't
have "saslauthd" running. I don't understand. :(

I've seen installations that are ancient talk about setting up cyrus
but I think that'll just confuse me more, and all I got from the
actuall source docs was using "virtual" users.

Any hints would be most appreciated.

ty~