Malbox has an invalid format after 2.1.14 to 2.2.9 upgrade

Curses! curseyoubastard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 12:17:23 EST 2004

Greetings:

I am trying to upgrade our Cyrus IMAP server from verison 2.1.14 to 2.2.9 to
address the security issues announced early this month.

After upgrading, the IMAP server issues the error "NO Mailbox has an invalid
format" when selecting any mailbox. Here's a snippet from the beginning of
the server log for the session showing the error:

      ---------- michael_moore Mon Dec  6 23:23:44 2004

      <1102404224<A00002 SELECT INBOX
      >1102404224>A00002 NO Mailbox has an invalid format

The entire log output for the invocation of the server can be seen at
<http://followingedge.com/images/log.html> where I have highlighted the
boring information relative to the session above (process 18883).

I have not been able to spot the source of the issue in examining the
included documentation and mailing list archive. Thanks to anyone who can
point me in the correct direction. Here's some additional information that
may be relevant to my issue:

Since I saw there were changes in the default database formats and the
addition of run-time database format directives, I added those directives to
indicate the same skiplist/flat configurations I had used previously. I also
added the "allowusermoves" and "lmtp_downcase_rcpt" directives since I
wanted to try them in the new version. Here's the complete configuration:

      seenstate_db: flat
      duplicate_db: skiplist
      quota_db: quotalegacy
      tlscache_db: skiplist
      mboxlist_db: skiplist
      subscription_db: flat
      annotation_db: skiplist
      ptscache_db: skiplist

      allowusermoves: 1
      lmtp_downcase_rcpt: 1

      configdirectory: /var/imap
      partition-default: /var/imap/mail
      admins: admin
      sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
      postuser: shared
      popminpoll: 2
      defaultacl: anyone lrs
      loginuseacl: yes
      allowanonymouslogin: no
      allowplaintext: no
      tls_cert_file: /var/imap/cert/server.pem
      tls_key_file: /var/imap/cert/server.pem
      tls_ca_file: /var/imap/cert/server.pem
      tls_ca_path: /var/imap/cert

I had configured the source with the following command (although I guess the
database directives are no longer useful):

      ./configure --with-cyrus-group=mail --with-cyrus-user=mail \
      --with-dbdir=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3 --with-duplicate-db=skiplist \
      --with-tls-db=skiplist --disable-sieve --without-snmp

Based on the notes in the changelog and other documentation, I expected that
the server would upgrade the mailbox format on the fly. I am now wondering
if I need to "reconstruct" all the mailboxes using the new utility prior to
running the new server. If so, will I lose message flags?

In a possibly related issue, after briefly invoking the new version of the
server, I also observed that the quotes for several mailboxes were
mis-calculated (as seen here from "quota" output):

  250000    1675 4188018 shared.csnw.slm.corp_accts

I found that "quota -f {mailbox}" did not fix the problem and the mailboxes
had to be reconstructed as here:

   $ /usr/cyrus/bin/reconstruct -r shared.csnw.slm.corp_accts
   shared.csnw.slm.corp_accts
   $ /usr/cyrus/bin/quota -f shared.csnw.slm.corp_accts
   shared.csnw.slm.corp_accts: usage was 2147483647, now 0
      Quota  % Used    Used Root
     250000       0       0 shared.csnw.slm.corp_accts

Finally, I am having to post this message from my GMail account because I
was not able to re-subscribe to the list from my usual address
(michael_moore (AT@) csnw.com) as I never get any response from the listserv
from any address attached to the csnw.com server and subscribing from the
web-based list management never results in mail to my csnw.com account or in
my address being added to the list as seen in the web interface. I haven't
gotten any response from "andrew2-webmaster at andrew.cmu.edu" which is listed
as the list problem contact on the website. It's not a spam filter problem
on our end as I have looked for the message on both sides of our filter. If
you can help with the problem or know a better contact, I would love to be
subscribed from my usual account.

Thanks sincerely for any help and Happy Holidays to everyone with best wishes
for the new year,

Michael Moore
Director of MIS
Computer Stores Northwest