Move to another server?

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Fri Dec 24 17:06:40 EST 2004

Anders,

I went through a similar problem several months ago, updating from an
ESYS server (commercial clone of a 1.x.x Cyrus server).  I had all
kinds of incompatibility problems on some test mailboxes I moved over
manually and also manually built the mailboxes file.  Some folders
would be okay and other would be reported as invalid and reconstruct
wouldn't clean it up.  I finally bit the bullet and used the perl
program, imapsync, to move the mailboxes over.  With imapsync, since it
actually talks to the old and new server via the imap protocol, the
move was error free. The down side is that because it uses the imap
protocol it's bloody slow.  I had some 5000 accounts with many
gigabytes of mail store and the total transfer took some three and a
half days to complete.  But then all I had to do afterwards was move
the alias that points to the imap server and users were bust reading
mail.  The other downside is that the SEEN flag is not a property of
the mailbox and doesn't get transfered, so all mail showed up as
unseen.  Since I was already aware of it, we announced it ahead of
time.

-- Rob

--On Friday, December 24, 2004 12:37:55 PM +0100 Anders Norrbring
<lists at norrbring.se> wrote:

> Hiya!
>
> I'm about to upgrade my "old" server to a newer platform, both
> hardware, O/S and Cyrus itself are going to be new versions.
>
> So, how can I ensure that all mail is moved correctly from the old
> platform to the new?  I have around 3000 accounts with lots of
> e-mails stored in the IMAP folders.
>
> What I need is basically a HOW-TO with step-by-step instructions on
> how to solve the move.
>
> Merry Christmas to you all!
>
> Anders Norrbring
> Norrbring Consulting