Can't auth using sasldb2 after updating cyrus-sasl and cyrus-imapd

Nathaniel Richmond nrichmond at speakeasy.net
Wed Dec 29 16:49:37 EST 2004

nrichmond at speakeasy.net wrote:

>I'm guessing that one of my configuration files is the problem.
>
>My only configuration options when compiling sasl and imapd were:
>--with-bdb-libdir=/usr/lib/ --with-bdb-incdir=/usr/include/db4 --disable-krb4 --disable-gssapi
>
>The only other information I can think of that may be relevant is that I performed step 2 under the "Upgrading from 2.1.x or earlier" install-upgrade.html document.  If I had been thinking, I probably would have just gone back and recompiled using --with-mboxlist-db=berkeley and --with-seen-db=flat, but I don't know if that is a problem or not.

Sorry, I don't mean to spam, but since I haven't received any responses
I have a few more questions that may help me pinpoint the problem.  It
seems that I can't authenticate because cyrus is having trouble reading
sasldb2 or won't recognize the users for some other reason.  Is it
possible (likely?) that one of the upgrade steps for sasl
(utils/dbconverter-2) or imapd made it so sasldb2 can't be read properly
or corrupted it?  Cyrus owns the file sasldb2, so that shouldn't be the
problem.

Also, what does "cmusaslsecret" mean when it is returned after using
sasldblistusers2?  Formerly, with sasldblistusers and my older versions
of cyrus, it would return with "user: user1 realm: hostname mech:
PLAIN."  What is the significance of cmusaslsecretPLAIN when using
sasldblistusers2?

Just to provide further information -- from my log files:  SASL(-13):
user not found: checkpass failed

What, exactly, is checkpass?

Thanks again,
Nate