Please help with Simon's Cyrus RPMS (2.2.8), SMP, and really slow performance

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Sun Aug 1 05:53:46 EDT 2004

> I'm really stumped here.
>
> I have two seperate machines... one very high end, dual CPU machine, raid
> 5, etc, the other is a piece of crud (standard low end workstation).
>
> Both machines are running Redhat Enterprise Server 3...
> the SMP machine is running the redhat 2.4.21-4.ELsmp stock kernel...
> the cheapie machine is running he redhat 2.4.21-4.EL stock kernel...

I'm testing the rpm build on RedHat 6.2, 7.2, 7.3, 9 and FC1 and FC2.
I'm running production servers on RedHat 6.2, 7.2, 7.3, 9 and FC1.
I'm running the servers on everything from small cheapy hardware with IDE
softraid on ext3 and XFS up to quite big irons with 8Gb of memory and lots
of SCSI and FC storage.

Finally, I have never seen a performance problem like the one you describe.

I suggest you run cyrus-imapd with
strace -f -tt /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-master
ot
ltrace -f -tt /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-master
and try to find out what and where it's going slow.

Simon