Cyrus Login

Andreas andreas at conectiva.com.br
Thu Aug 5 11:00:13 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 09:44:50AM +0000, Cory D. Wiles wrote:
> Thank you EVERYONE who helped me with this. I had a few people at work tell
> me to switch to another software but it wasn't the programs fault it wasn't
> working and this is a DEFINITE learning experience so once again hats off to
> those who took the time to look at and answer my emails so promptly.

You are welcome

> Just a small final question if I want to create new accounts and/or folders
> will I have to login to the cyradm and create them or will they be created
> when you add a user to the machine? I would assume you would have to create
> the account in the cyradm since you don't necessarily want every user you
> create to have an email account.

On an unpatched cyrus server, you will have to create the mailbox everytime
for a new user. It has no association with the user in /etc/passwd. However, there are
external patches available[1] that will automatically create INBOX when the
user first logs in.

You will only need the user in /etc/passwd if you use ACLs and cyrus
was compiled with --with-auth=unix AFAIK.

1. http://email.uoa.gr/projects/cyrus/autocreate/