Terrible problem :(((((

Fatemeh Taj fatemeh at dpiran.net
Sat Aug 7 00:56:12 EDT 2004

Hi list
Something terrible happened to my mailserver. (Redhat 7.1+cyrus 2.0.16) At
mornining I found out that my server is down. After doing fsck it came up.
But the strange thing was that the status of the /var/spool/imap/user was
for one month ago! I mean that there were just emails up to 30 Jun and
every emails which users had after this date had been deleted! I just
found a few emails and two unreadable files in lost+found directory after
fsck. I decided to restore my backups. I had level zero backup from last
week and a level 9 backup from 1:00 AM. What was more strange was that the
level zero backup was exactly what I had that day !!! and the level 9
(incrimental) backup had not recognizd any change on the file system after
level zero date!!!
I can not analyze this problem. We were working with the server and
nothing was strange but it seems that the server had a problem for
something around one month!! Also maybe it helps to say that one of
mailboxes which receives antivirus alerts was badly bombared with email
and I think maybe the huge volume or number may cause this problem. But I
can not understand how one month emails has been deleted from the file
system and how the server worked smoothly while my backup shows that there
had been a very serious problem with the filesystem so that it could not
recognize this one month changes and do a backup from those datas. Another
thing is that after this problem when I read my emails trough webmail the
status of every emails (even new ones) are READ.

ANY HELP IS REALY APPRICIATED.
Fatemeh Taj