Deleted folders still exist in filesystem

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Aug 16 13:28:36 EDT 2004

Shawn Sivy wrote:
> When someone deletes a folder or moves a folder to their local hard disk
> (which should delete it on the server), the directory still existing on
> the cyrus server eventhough there is no longer a reference to it in the
> cyrus databases (mailboxes.db).  All of the messages (and cyrus.* files)
> are removed too, but the directory remains.  Is there a reason for this
> or is it a bug or an email client issue?
>
> I'm running Cyrus IMAP 2.2.8 on Solaris 9 (SPARC).  Users typically have
> Netscape 7.x, Mozilla 1.x or Thunderbird 0.5 (or higher) as their email
> client.

This is because all versions of Cyrus prior to 2.3 chdir() into the
mailbox directory when it is SELECTed by the client and some OSs won't
remove a directory when a process is in it.  In 2.3 the chdir() has been
removed, mainly because the meta-data files can now be split into
separate directories.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127