Inconsistent expunge performance

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Aug 18 19:42:51 EDT 2004

Nels Lindquist wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> Since upgrading to Cyrus IMAP 2.2.x, I've noticed some fairly extreme
> performance degradation when it comes to expunging deleted mail.

Which 2.2.x version?

> This behaviour is inconsistent from folder to folder, but quite
> consistent WRT an individual folder.
>
> I haven't been able to find much of a pattern involving numbers of
> messages, ages of folders, etc.  Some folders complete an expunge
> almost immediately, some take nearly five minutes while generating
> quite a high load on the server.

Sounds like the folder may be corrupt, you are deleting a *lot* of
messages, or you may be running 2.2.4-2.2.7.

> Is there some explanation for this?  I've gone through the Wiki
> regarding DB backends and I seem to have everything set up according
> to the recommendations.  Which database is most directly impacted by
> an "expunge" operation?

None.  The only files involved in an expunge are cyrus.index,
cyrus.cache, the message files, and the quota file (which in 2.2.4+ uses
the cyrusdb interface).

 >  Is there anything I can do to alleviate this
> problem?  I tried putting imap/proc on tmpfs as discussed in the
> performance documentation, but it didn't make any difference for the
> expunge behaviour (though it would seem opening a folder is slightly
> faster).
>
> The server isn't very heavily loaded; there are less than 200
> mailboxes and usually less than 20 concurrent users.  IO shouldn't be
> a problem; the disk is 10,000 RPM SCSI.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
>
> ----
> Nels Lindquist <*>
> Information Systems Manager
> Morningstar Air Express Inc.
>
> ---

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127